The Casper Children’s Chorale seeks a dynamic, proven leader for its Artistic Director position. The Artistic Director is responsible for the leadership and direction of the Casper Children’s Chorale, including recruiting, programming, rehearsals, and performances. The Director is responsible for all Children’s Chorale artistic issues and supervises all section leaders and pianists, including those for the training choir, Bel Canto. The Children’s Chorale Artistic Director works in collaboration with and reporting to the Board of Directors on administrative, organizational, and outreach activities.
The Casper Children’s Chorale was founded in 1979 to provide a positive and challenging choral experience for young singers. Children’s Chorale is made up of eighty children, ages 9- 13, and has performed for school and community audiences across Wyoming and the United States, sharing their love of music and their pride in Wyoming.
The Chorale has performed on Regional and National MENC (NAfME) and ACDA (2021, 2005) Conferences, and has never received anything less than Superior Ratings and Adjudicator Awards at over a dozen World Strides Music Festivals. Rehearsing once weekly for 90 minutes, their goal is to prepare thoughtful and caring world citizens…who LOVE to SING!
The primer choir, Bel Canto, fifty 2nd-5th graders, has a separate staff. Both choirs offer seasonal programming yet collaborate annually on a holiday concert and an annual Mother’s Day Concert that has become a beloved tradition in Casper, a community of 50,000 in the center of Wyoming.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Repertoire and Rehearsal Planning
• Selects repertoire suitable for children’s voices and appropriate for training students in healthy (vocal pedagogically and SEL based) choral singing.
• Keeps current with new choral repertoire and techniques (trainings, conferences, networking).
• Analyzes scores, prepares score markings, and studies background information and inspiration of repertoire.
• Provides instruction and develops the vocal and ensemble skills of young singers, with an emphasis on community building and social emotional learning.
• Plans and executes regular weekly rehearsals of the Casper Children’s Chorale, currently held Tuesdays 4:00-5:30 and additional Thursday rehearsals 5:00-6:30 once or twice monthly (weekly Zoom during Covid).
• Schedules and designs season concerts, including themes, locations, and guest artists.
• Prepares singers to perform at concerts and other performances throughout the year, including an annual Retreat and/or Spring Tour.
• Identifies and schedules guest artists and performers to collaborate with the Casper Children’s Chorale, including the Wyoming Symphony Orchestra.
• Provides program information, translations, and notes as needed.
• Leads and collaborates for concert-related logistics as needed.
• Provides opportunities for singers to participate in state, regional, and national honor choirs.
• Conducts all performances of the Casper Children’s Chorale
Membership and Personnel Management
• Encourages, recruits and auditions students of all backgrounds.
• Confers with parents/caregivers regarding student attendance, expectations, progress, and group performance and fundraising activities.
• Communicates regularly with staff.
• Collaborates with and provides artistic guidance to Chorale directors and section leaders.
• Supervises, evaluates, and encourages all staff, including section leaders and pianists.
Outreach and Strategic Planning
• Represents the Children’s Chorale at various community and cultural events.
• Organizes, conducts rehearsals for, and leads/participates in tours.
• Works closely with Chorale Parent Board and staff to ensure continued effectiveness and development of the Casper Children’s Chorale; provides input on policies and procedures.
• Attends monthly board meetings, presents monthly reports, and gives input to the Board.
• Provides grant information to board members including projects and visions, represents the Chorale in grant discussions and writes or collaborates on applications as needed.
• Participates in mission, vision, and strategic development discussions with the Casper Children’s Chorale Board and/or other artistic staff.
The ideal Children’s Chorale Artistic Director candidate will possess these qualifications:
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Choral Conducting, Vocal Performance, or Music Education and/or significant experience in childhood music education.
• Passion for working with children and a strong belief in and understanding of the benefits of performance-based music education, centered in SEL (social emotional learning).
• Knowledge and/or training in Kodaly, Orff, and/or Dalcroze Methodologies.
• Ability to work in collaboration with the Children’s Chorale Board and music staff to develop the vision for the Children’s Chorale, including repertoire, programming, and season planning.
• Knowledge of choral techniques, vocal pedagogy, and a broad range of choral repertoire for children’s choir, with high expectations for learning and performance and a commitment to continuing professional development.
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work as a member of a team.
• Supervisory experience.
• Fundraising experience.
HOW/WHEN TO APPLY
By Midnight, Monday, March 22, 2021, please email your resume with a cover letter describing how you meet the qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Children’s Chorale Artistic Director Search” in the subject line. All application information must be received via email – no hard copies will be accepted. No phone calls, please.
Children’s Chorale values diversity and inclusiveness and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information, please refer to our website https://casperchildrenschorale.com
We are partners in education with our local school district in Casper, Wyoming.
Natrona County Public Schools, NCSD#1, may have full-time elementary or secondary choral/instrumental music education openings.
Please refer to https://natronaschools.org/jobs